Get OutsideJul 11, 2023 06:33PM ● By Tavia Patusky
This summer, step outside to support your health! Engaging in outdoor activity can positively impact several aspects of your physical, mental, social and intellectual well-being.
- Physical Health: Engaging in physical activity can improve cardiovascular health, strengthen muscles and bones, enhance flexibility and help maintain a healthy weight. It also reduces the risk of chronic conditions like obesity, diabetes, heart disease and certain types of cancer.
- Support Vitamin D Production: Safely enjoying the sun can help your body’s natural synthesis of vitamin D. Vitamin D is essential for maintaining healthy bones and teeth, supporting the immune system and regulating mood. Most individuals only need small amounts of sunlight to support vitamin D production. Prevent sun damage by using sunscreen, wearing UV protective clothing and limiting extended sun exposure.
- Mental Well-Being: Spending time in natural surroundings can calm the mind and reduce mentalfatigue. Nature provides a break from the fast-paced, technology-driven world. Engaging in physical activity outdoors has been shown to boost your mood, reduce stress and help alleviate some symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- Social Interaction: Outdoor activities often involve social engagement, whether it's participating in team sports or going for a walk with friends. These interactions foster social connections, build relationships and provide a support network, which is crucial for overall well-being.
- Improved Concentration and Productivity: Physical movement and exposure to nature have been shown to enhance concentration and cognitive abilities. Taking short breaks outdoors during work or study sessions can improve focus and productivity, prevent mental fatigue and boost overall performance.
There are lots of fun, free ways to celebrate your well-being outdoors in Columbia this summer. Join Columbia Association (CA) for Lakefront Live featuring Dancin’ Under the People Tree (our family-friendly outdoor dance party!). Join the CA Fitness Team on Monday evenings for yoga or bootcamp at the Chrysalis Stage at Merriweather Park. To learn more or subscribe to the CA Summer Moves calendar, click here.